This nutritious and delicious garlic soup is incredibly popular in Spain, namely in its historical homeland – in Castile and León.
Useful properties of garlic
Fresh garlic is characterized not only by its strong smell and distinct taste but also by its high nutritional value. In addition to the high content of nutrients, it has a positive effect on the process of losing weight.
It is low-calorie, but at the same time, it contains compounds indispensable for the body, which accelerate metabolism and start metabolic processes. At the same time, garlic contains vitamins C and B6, as well as manganese, selenium, and a small amount of protein.
Fresh garlic contains minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron, and phosphorus, as well as a small amount of vitamin B1.
Garlic is a powerful antioxidant
Garlic is characterized by a high content of vitamin C and flavonoids, which neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals and eliminate signs of premature aging. Doctors recommend regular consumption of garlic to patients with hypertension because it improves the functioning of the cardiovascular system and regulates blood pressure.
In addition, thanks to its antioxidant properties, garlic slows the development of dementia and reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer’s syndrome.
Garlic Soup: a delicious and simple dish
Ingredients (for 6 serves):
- 10 cloves of garlic (50 g)
- 6 eggs
- 12 slices of day-old hard white bread
- 1 piece of ham or prosciutto (150 g)
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (50 ml)
- 2 and 1/2 liters of meat broth (can be replaced with vegetable broth)
salt, pepper, and sweet paprika (to taste)
- The first step to make the soup is to peel and chop the main ingredient of this dish – garlic cloves. They need to be chopped finely, but not too finely.
- Place a large saucepan on the stove and pour olive oil into it. As soon as the oil is well heated, add chopped garlic to it and fry it until golden brown. Note that the garlic roasts very quickly, so keep an eye on the cooking process so don’t burn it.
- Cut the ham into small pieces and add it to the garlic. Constantly stir the ham and garlic for do not stick them to the bottom of the pan and do not overcook.
Then add 6 pieces of bread to the pan and fry them together with garlic and ham.
- When the bread is well toasted, remove the pan from the heat and add the sweet paprika. Mix thoroughly. The amount of paprika can be adjusted according to your taste.
- As soon as all the components of the soup are combined and absorb the pleasant aroma and color of the paprika, return the pan to the stove. Stew the bread with ham and garlic over low heat so that the garlic and paprika do not burn.
- When the soup pan heats up again, gradually pour the warm broth into it. Of course, in the absence of broth, you can cook garlic soup in water, but it is the meat broth that gives the dish a rich taste and aroma.
- You need to cook garlic soup over low heat for 20-25 minutes. It is better not to stir the dish during cooking and not to boil it on high heat.
- While the soup is cooking, toast the remaining 6 pieces of bread in a small amount of olive oil.
- After 25 minutes, add croutons to the soup and wait until they soften. Then season the finished garlic soup with salt and black pepper. Before serving, mix the dish thoroughly again.
Picture Credit: Pexels